Sunday 31 July 2016

Aborted Projects 2: Assorted Maquettes

Although I've not made a full-size puppet since last year, I have made several maquettes as studies in miniature for projected puppets. Being studies, the 3D equivalent of sketches prior to finished drawings, they tend to be somewhat rough, with certain areas, especially the ears, generally being left unfinished. They are even sometimes quite asymmetrical, as I sculpt either side of an imaginary vertical line halfway across the face slightly differently to see how alternative approaches might work sculpturally.

The maquettes below depict Zac Goldsmith (I had a crack at Sadiq Khan but I wasn't happy with it and mashed it up), Jeremy Clarkson (bald, as the full-size puppet would have had a wig because of his frizzy hair), the Channel 4 newsreader Jon Snow, and former Chancellor of the Exchequer George Osborne:




I even sculpted maquettes of Iain Duncan Smith and Richard Hammond (to go with Clarkson), but I was never that happy with them and ended up mashing them up before I could even be bothered photographing them.

No comments:

Post a Comment